APPLICATIONS FOR SPRING 2017 ARE CLOSED
Please check back for our fall application.
Important Dates for Mandatory Events:
All-Student Meeting: 1/28/17
BSP is a "strength-based" community of scholars. Although we recognize the very real need of students, we believe that selecting members based on their strengths (potential to contribute to the BSP community and society) rather than their need for support (e.g., financial and academic challenges), has resulted in a BSP culture where individual student success and reciprocal support of one another go hand in hand.
Using a written application and invited interviews we look for the following in our prospective members: 1) "distance traveled" - barriers and challenges they have negotiated, 2) passion for science, and 3) demonstrated commitment to service.
We use SATs and GPAs not as a threshold to include/exclude students but as an entrée to discuss an applicant's life circumstances. Measures of strength may also include a candidate's resilience, persistence, authenticity, willingness to seek and give help, and ability to re-strategize and re-group in the face of failure.
BSP membership is highly competitive. We recommend that serious candidates begin the application process early. Students not accepted are always welcome to submit an application for the following semester. Please email any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
One of the biggest strengths of BSP is the active participation of its members in support of each other’s success. Some specific minimum membership requirements are listed below, but they just represent a baseline of participation. BSP members contribute to the community in a myriad of ways not listed here, both large and small, from tutoring their peers to making new students feel welcome. Members often say “you get out of it what you put into it” which aligns with our observation that the most active and engaged BSP members often have better long-term success in achieving their goals. We ask that all members consider how they can use their unique strengths, skills, ideas, and interests to contribute to the BSP community.
Minimum BSP Member Requirements:
- Attend the All Student Meeting (1/2 day on a Saturday) at the beginning of every Fall and Spring Semester.
- Meet with an advisor at least once per semester in their first year in BSP and at least once a year after that.
- Attend at least the first session of each BSP study group in which they are enrolled in the corresponding class.
- Complete John Matsui’s Fall 1-unit course, IB C96, and Spring 2-unit course, MCB 15, within their first two years of BSP membership.
- Help clean and maintain the student room during use and when selected randomly for a group clean-up.
- Follow all rules regarding the protection and maintenance of BSP resources and facilities.
- Promptly respond to any communications and surveys from BSP staff during their undergraduate years and after graduation from Cal.